I know as well as you do that there are many reason why we fail and I also know that you have it in your power to change. Maybe you wanted to lose 30 pounds and look incredible at the beach. You might be the person who said I am going to start being nicer to people and then your boss Janet was nagging you again so you screw being nice it never works out. Maybe you had a dream to start your own business and failed.
Do you ever ask yourself why do I have the best intentions every year yet fail every time?
Well I did some research and according to a Forbes.com article only 8% of people actually achieve their new years resolutions.
I am going to give you the top 5 reasons why I think people fail and how to fix them.
We can have a fear of failing, succeeding or just fear of the unknown. The best ways to conquer this are doing something out of our comfort zone every day. I also recommend an accountability partner someone who you know will hold you to what you say that you are going to do. It can be a family member, a friend, or a complete stranger. The key is being specific and honest about your fears and stepping outside your comfort zone every day.
2. Trying to accomplish your resolution too quickly
Rome wasn't built in a day and you can't reach your new years resolutions that quickly either. If you set goals that are too high re-adjust your goals. If you said that you wanted to lose 30 lbs in 2 months and you have only lost 10 don't beat yourself up. You have made progress so don't stop now you DIDN"T FAIL you just hit a bump in the road. If you had that extra piece of pie when you agreed to give up sweets don't give up just treat it as a bump in the road and move on.
3. Belief in yourself
If you don't believe in yourself you will sabotage your resolutions from the get go. I know it sounds cheesy but I have found that positive affirmations every morning have helped me to have higher self esteem. The legendary author Brian Tracy says you should repeat this phrase to boost self esteem " I like myself"," I like myself", "I like myself". The more that you like yourself the easier it will be to believe that you can do it.
4. Not writing it down
If you don't write it down the chance of you not completing it sky rockets. In a Harvard MBA study they asked graduates if they had goals written and made plans to accomplish them. The result only 3% had written goals and 13% had goals but not in writing. When they followed up with applicants the results were astounding. The 13% who had goals but did not write them down were earning 2 times the amount as the 84% who did not write their goals. The 3% who had written their goals were on average earning 10 times as much as the other 97% combined.
The morale of the story is if you write your resolutions down you will be more likely to achieve them.
5. Not taking action
Most people say my resolutions are to look like a Victoria's Secret model or look like the Hulk. If you just sit on your butt and take no action you will never get to where you want to be. If you write your goals down and fail its usually because you didn't take action.
In one of my favorite movies Alfred says to Bruce Wayne "Why do we fall" "So we can learn to pick ourselves back up"
If you have failed to make progress in your new years resolutions or if you have made a few mistakes it's time to change course. Turn your ship around and head into the wind sure it's going to be hard but I promise you that it will be worth it.
Dedicated to helping you become your best self